RestrictedSection.org

username: password:
SearchDiscussionsRegister

Buckbeak is a Great Ugly Brute

Serpenteyes: R.A.B.'s identity revealed

Almost all the Harry Potter readers are pretty sure that R.A.B. is Sirius Black's brother, Regulus Black.

As I have mentioned in an earlier thread, all we have to do is read one of the foreign books were they change Sirius Black's name and see if the initials have been changed as well.

Well, the Norwegian version of the HBP (Harry Potter og Halvblodsprinsen) came out today and R.A.B. was changed to R.A.S. (Black's name is Svaart in Norwegian)

Not that this is really important, but I thought some of you might like to know. (You can for instance brag about you superior knowledge to other HP-fans?)

Antosha19 Nov 2005, 07:30 am
Thanks, Serpenteyes!

I've been waiting for something like this to pop up...
Serpenteyes19 Nov 2005, 07:39 am
You're welcome.

I hope this wasn't a big thing Rowling was hoping to keep secret untill next book...
This comment was posted by a user who has since been disabled
Heroin19 Nov 2005, 07:51 am
M;aybe she would.
calamitysandra19 Nov 2005, 08:06 am
I don`t think she was trying to throw her readers of track.
She has already confirmed in an interview that it is most likely Sirius brother, who destroyed the horcrux.
My personal opinion is, that it will not play a major part in the next book, who destroyed the horcrux. Maybe she just wanted her readers to have something to puzzel over until the next book is released.
The readers who got it right will be pleased, but it will be a minor plot part.

Sandra
miga_719 Nov 2005, 10:58 am
when did JK say that it's most likely Sirius's brother?
metafrantic19 Nov 2005, 11:36 am
Sirius did mention Regulus in OotP, during the summer. The first time Harry saw the Black family tree. He even pointed out where his own name was blasted off, but Regulus' was still there.
calamitysandra19 Nov 2005, 11:15 am
I don`t remember when or where it was exactly,but there was an interview where she was asked, if R.A.B. was Sirius brother. She answered, that this is a good guess and she would recommend to stick with it.

Sandra
This comment has been deleted
calamitysandra20 Nov 2005, 11:26 am
Thank you!
It may well be, that it was this interview, I was thinking about.

Sandra
Antosha19 Nov 2005, 07:59 am
Serpenteyes--I wouldn't worry about spoiling anything! This is how Blaise Zabini was confirmed as a boy last year--the Portuguese editors of the first book needed to know whether to use the masculine or feminine pronoun....

BTW, did you actually see this yourself while reading? Or did a friend tell you? Or did you hear about it somewhere?
Serpenteyes19 Nov 2005, 08:04 am
Yep, saw it with my own eyes at the shopping senter today.
Antosha19 Nov 2005, 08:09 am
Yay!

A few months back, the HP Lexicon stated that a reliable source had confirmed that RAB was Regulus... but that they couldn't quote the source. They got huge flack about that.

My guess is that it was the Norwegian translator, who (like JKR herself) uses the Lexicon to sort out facts...
Antosha19 Nov 2005, 08:21 am
Oh! I thought the Blacks' last name was untranslated in the Dutch edition (as it is in the French and German editions...)
Antosha19 Nov 2005, 09:24 am
And, apparently, it is RAZ in the Dutch edition: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/MTarchives/008026.php
ridgeback7719 Nov 2005, 09:56 am
Clicky

TML™
prufrock19 Nov 2005, 01:14 pm
Womp womp.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's Regulus. We already know from HBP that Regulus was murdered for abandoning the Death Eaters; it makes sense that he would have pulled a fast-one like stealing the Horcrux.

As for whether or not JKR intended for us to figure it out, or if it will be a big part of Seven -- who can really tell?
versace0223 Nov 2005, 09:22 pm
are we sure that Regulus died or is that just what Sirius *believed*?
versace0223 Nov 2005, 09:22 pm
are we sure that Regulus died or is that just what Sirius *believed*?
celtic-lady24 Nov 2005, 02:03 am
I have been wondering that myself. Personally I have a suspicion that Stubby Boardman is Regulus Black...he did appear at Sirius's funeral after all. Why would he have attended if he didn't at the least know him?
This comment has been deleted
nyxserpent19 Nov 2005, 06:47 pm
I figured that out pretty quick, 'cause the only person I knew who had the first initial 'R' and the last initial 'B' was Regulus
Serpenteyes20 Nov 2005, 04:38 am
Well, we all did. This just proves it.
StellaSeven23 Nov 2005, 03:06 pm
here's another thing i noticed about RAB - jkr has malfoy making a show of bringing up his grandfather Abraxas to try and impress slugface in potions. I'm thinking maybe Abraxas is a family name on the Black side and that it's the A in RAB. the lexicon assumes and has him listed as a Malfoy, but I don't recall draco metioning his last name, so he could very well be a black.
Antosha23 Nov 2005, 07:16 pm
The Lexicon's "Unnamed Source" (I'm assuming it was the Dutch or Norwegian translator) said that RAB was Regulus Arcturus Black. Which fits with the astronomical obsession of the Blacks... (Poor Narcissa.)